A civic company for community interest
CEFALY Technology innovates in the medical domain with as main objective the Therapeutic Progress. This means that the new products must bring a benefit to the patients in comparison with existing treatments. The activity is therefore driven by patient's interest and not by the search for market shares by developing "me-too" drugs or devices.
The Therapeutic Progress can address the efficacy of the treatment in clincal practice, on the reduction of side effects, on the convenience of use or on the reduction of cost to the society and to the patients.
Respect for the environment and sustainable development
We take care to ensure that our products are made with respect for environmental standards.
We are particularly vigilant as regards the monitoring of batteries and their disposal once they are spent. The same goes for all the accessories that accompany our products. These are of equally high quality and are extremely durable, enabling them to guarantee an extremely long service life.
Ethics and fair trade
We take care to ensure that all points along the chain, from the production of raw materials to the points of sale, are respected and enjoy fair pay for their work.
We are extremely attentive to the wellbeing of people who manufacture our products. To this end, we inspect all our production facilities and we work virtually exclusively with subcontractors based in Europe.
Wellbeing and fulfilment of staff and colleagues.
Our company’s strength is determined by the quality and motivation of its workforce.
We ensure that everyone receives training appropriate for their role, but we also take care to ensure that this training also represents development that offers opportunities for the future. Our working conditions are excellent. We all work in an atmosphere of respect and support. Comfort and quality of life in the workplace are considered for each individual on a personal basis and are constantly improved.
Quality and safety are key aspects of CEFALY Technology's core values. A comprehensive quality management system has been introduced and is constantly updated.
All products of CEFALY Technology bear the CE mark for the medical devices.
CEFALY Technology is ISO certified : Design, development and production processes comply with the strictest quality standards:
- ISO Medial 13485 (quality system specific to medical materials)
- ISO13485 under CMD CAS
- GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices)
- GCP (Good Clinical Practice)
- Foundation of STX-Med with the mission to research and develop practical innovations in the field of electronics and bio-electronics for use on humans.
The STX-Med project was formed from the collaboration of two founders who are experts in bio-engineering; one is an engineer and the son of a physician, while the other is a physician and the son of an engineer.
Pierre-Yves MULLER :
Doctor of Physics, having graduated from the University Geneva (Switzerland).
This expert in electronics and micro-electronics was made aware of the medical applications of the discipline by his father, Professor Muller of the department of internal medicine at the University Hospital of Geneva. Since qualifying as physics engineer, he has always worked in research and the development of innovative electronic devices. He is also the founding engineer for all the technology used in Compex equipment.
Pierre François RIGAUX :
Doctor of medicine, graduated from the University of Liège (Belgium).
He also graduated in electronics from the Technical University of Saint Laurent. After several years of practising medicine both in a hospital and private setting, he became a scientific consultant for several European companies who made medical equipment. Already made aware of the technology by his father, an engineer, he stepped up his role as scientific adviser and became Medical Director at Compex in Switzerland, and then Vice President of Rehabilicare in the USA.
The two founders have worked together for 20 years to develop several unique and innovative medical devices in the fields of ultrasound, neuro-stimulation, electromyography and various forms of bio-signal analysis. The pair have extensive expertise in recording the electrical signals emitted by the human body that act electrically on the nerves and muscles.
- Launch of the CEFALY® project
Cefaly® project: external cranial neurostimulation. Cranial neurostimulation was existing only with invasive devices. STX-Med decided to start lancer a series of technical and clinical to develop a new technology: making feasible non-invasive cranial neurostimulation.
- Presentation of a first device at the Cosmoprof fair in Bologne
The Safetox® is the first device acting by electroinhibition of the muscles of the center part of the forehead. The Safetox® has got a huge success during this fair, and will allow the start of a commercial activity for STX-Med.
- Workflows control & certifications
- Implementation of an integrated control structure in all workflows from purchases to the end customer.
- ISO 9001:2000 and ISO 13485 certification.
- Launch of Cefaly® & new research programs
Cefaly® is the first external neurostimulation device for the treatment and the prevention of migraines and headaches. This unique medical device has enjoyed tremendous success since it was launched. The improvement in the patients' quality of life generates a significant word-of-mouth recommendation.
- Presentation of Cefaly® at the Medica trade fair in Düsseldorf
The company's stand was under siege from distributors from all over the world eager to learn about and try the Cefaly®.
- Research in the field of neurostimulation
Launch of new research projects in the field of neurostimulation in order to deliver long-term new method to treat chronic pain and new medical applications for Cefaly® Technology.
- Presentation of Cefaly® at the Arab Health trade fair in Dubai
As already experienced at the Medica trade fair, Cefaly® enjoyed tremendous success and firm distribution contacts were established with several countries in Middle East.
- Collaboration with 5 University for the evaluation of Cefaly® safety and efficacy for migraine prevention
Two phase II clinical trials are implemented to demonstrate Cefaly® safety and efficacy in 2 indications: sedative effect and migraine prevention.
- ISO13485 CMD CAS certification (for Canada)
Launch of Cefaly® in Canada and implementation of the renting test system in several European countries.
- BMC Neurology peer review journal publishes about the VIGILANCE clinical trial which demonstrates the sedative effect of Cefaly® on the central nervous system
- Communication of the results of the PREMICE clinical trial to the Belgian press
- Start of TRADONI research project about chronic pain treatment.
STX-Med establishes a partnership with Liege University and the research department of the Walloon region for the launch of a research project having the objective the development of an "electronic aspirin".
- STX-Med winner of Grand Prix Wallonie Export
STX-Med wins the Grand Prix Wallonia Export in the young company category because of its rapid export sales since 2010.
- Launch of Cefaly® on the French market with a press conference in Paris
- Publication in the peer review journal « NEUROLOGY » of the PREMICE clinical study about migraine prevention with Cefaly®.
- Winner in the category "Export" of the Trends Business Tour
The business magazine « Trends Tendances » grants the export trophy for Liège's province to CEFALY Technology to reward the sustained growth of its exportations since 2009.
- Extension of the distribution of the CEFALY in Germany and Italy
Start of a partnership in Germany and in Italy for Cefaly representation in neurology departments and in pain clinics.
- Participation to the large European research project on migraine : EUROHEADPAIN
EUROHEADPAIN is the large research project on migraine funded by the European Union. Next to the eleven academic research centers from ten different countries, there is only one company : CEFALY Technology (STX-Med).
- Publication in the peer review journal « Journal of Headache and Pain » of a clinical trial reporting the use of the Cefaly by more than two thousand patients.
- Extension of the CEFALY distribution in England and Denmark
Start of a partnership in England and in Germany for Cefaly representation in neurology departments and in pain clinics.
- US FDA approval of the Cefaly device
- CEFALY Technology voted « Entreprise Prometteuse de l’année »
The EY advisory company awards the « Entreprise de l’année » prize to CEFALY Technology thus rewarding its high potential for growth.
- Launch of Cefaly in Saudi Arabia
CEFALY Technology reaches a distribution agreement with an major player in the saudi arabian market, Al Awour company.
- ANVISA approval and lauch of Cefaly in Brazil
CEFALY Technology receive the ANVISA (Brazil National Health Surveillance Agency) approval to market the Cefaly device in Brazil, and signs a €2 million distribution agreement with the brazilan company Politec Saude.
- US office opening
The new office will serve as the exclusive Cefaly® distributor in the United States.
- Launch of Cefaly in Scandivania
CEFALY Technology signs a distribution agreement in Sweden, Finland and Norway with VeriVita Group company.
- Signature of a exclusive distribution contract in Taiwan
CEFALY Technology signs exclusive distribution contract with Airwex Corp company.
- CEFALY Technology celebrates its 10th anniversary and ends the year by doubling its turnover
On November 30th, 2014, CEFALY Technology celebrates its 10th anniversary and reports a turnover figure of 5M€.
- Pierre Rigaux voted « Manager Liegeois de l’année 2014 »
As part of the ‘Citoyen de l’Année 2014’ action, organised by the Sud Presse Group, Mr Pierre Rigaux, CEO of Cefaly Technology, was attributed the award of ‘Manager liégeois de l'année 2014’.
- Signature of an agreement protocol with the Hanghzou University
CEFALY Technology and the Coma Science Group from the University of Liège sign an agreement protocol in Shangai with the Hangzou Normal University during the official state visit of King Philippe and Queen Mathilde to the People's Republic of China. This study protocol focuses on the effects of the cranial external neurostimulation on children in coma.
- Lauch of Cefaly distribution in South Korea
CEFALY Technology signs a record-breaking contract of € 4 million euros in Taiwan with MediFocus Co Ltd. company.
- Lauch of Cefaly distribution in Philippines and Greece
CEFALY Technology signs distribution agreements in Philippines with société JCS Pharmaceuticals Inc. Company and in Greece with Brain Therapeutics company.
- Publication in the peer review journal « Journal of Headache and Pain » of a clinical trial reporting the efficacy of the Cefaly device
An independent clinical study conducted by Dr. Antonio Russo and Prof. Alessandro Tessitore with the Headache Center, Department of Medical, Surgical, Neurological, Metabolic and Aging Sciences of the University of Naples, confirms the efficacy of the Cefaly device and recommends it as a first choice therapy in selected migraine populations.
- Signature of a distribution agreement in China
CEFALY Technology signs a record-breaking contract of € 6.5 million in China with the Angenieux Trading Shanghai Co Ltd.
- Signature of a distribution contract in Japan
CEFALY Technology signs a record-breaking contract of € 5 million in China with the Angenieux Trading Shanghai Co Ltd.